Plants are essential to everyone's lives. Welcome to Plantlife.
Wildflowers Count is the UK’s only annual national wild plant survey. Every year you can help us keep track of some our most common wildflowers.
Why count wildflowers?
Many of our more common species of flower can easily be taken for granted, often overlooked while we study rare and endangered species. But common species are important and can be under pressure from problems such as pollution, or they may be doing well because of land management practices. This is why we need to count our more common wildflowers; they are indicators of how healthy our countryside is, and the more counts there are the better.
How can I help?
Wildflowers Count has three different ways to take part. All surveys are done within a 1km square that is selected to be within easy reach of your home. And there is a new list of 99 wildflowers to count. You can choose which survey you would like to take part in, as best suits your interests or experience.
- Wildflowers Path - take a 1km walk through your square, taking note of any of the wildflowers in the Wildflowers Count ID guide (and the type of habitats) along the way.
- Wildflower Plots - the basis of the old Common Plants Survey. We provide you with a small square plot, and a small linear plot, square, within which we ask you to note any of the 99 wildflowers from the guide, along with how abundant they are.
- Become a Super-surveyor! Some volunteers told us that they felt frustrated that they could only record the few wildflowers in the ID Guide, so we have changed things. Those who feel confident enough will be able to identify as many plants as they can.
We cannot tackle a nationwide project like this without volunteers, it really is a case of ‘Our wildflowers need you’!
Who counts wildflowers?
Anyone who has an interest in spending time outdoors can help. No-one needs to be put off by thinking that they don’t know enough about wildflowers as all the materials will be provided in the free survey pack:
- Guidance notes which will show you how to get started.
- The full colour ID guide containing 99 of the UK’s wildflowers.
- The survey sheet with all the plants and habitat types listed.
- Safety notes.
And you can always email or telephone if you need some help. Email email@example.com or telephone our hotline on 01722 342755.
How do I get started?
You can register for the 2013 survey by clicking the link below, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or leaving a message on our telephone hotline 01722 342755.
We will then send you a survey pack. Once you’re done you can either post us the results or enter them online.
Plantlife respects your privacy and will not give or sell your personal data to any third party. To read our privacy and security statement click here.
If you’re signed up to survey, the following resources might be useful - click on each to download:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Survey form
- Health and Safety guidance
- Access rights and responsibilities
- Landowner permission letter
- Scottish Natural Heritage outdoor access leaflet
- Ordnance Survey guidance
- Wildflowers Count e-bulletin - Winter 2011
- Wildflowers Count e-bulletin - June 2012
- Wildflowers Count e-bulletin - Autumn 2012
- Wildflowers Count e-bulletin - Winter 2013
There will also be WFC event days during the year, where you can learn about wildflowers and the survey, and meet other people wanting to take part. A diary of these events and many other events will be found on our Activities page.