Lanhydrock Park IPA
Location: 2½ miles south east of Bodmin, Cornwall. To get there follow signposts from either A30, A38 Bodmin Liskeard or take B3268 off A390 at Lostwithiel.
Grid Reference: SX 090 636
The Lanhydrock Estate covers 1000 acres of parkland, woods and riverside paths providing a fabulous setting for a magnificent late Victorian country house and garden.The estate features a C17th deer park with tree lined carriage drives and a spectacular woodland dating back to 1634. Lanhydrock was originally a medieval grange owned by St Petroc’s Priory in Bodmin which then passed into private ownership following the Dissolution. The house has been owned and managed by the National Trust since 1953.
A highlight of the park is the famous avenue of ancient beech trees which stretches towards the River Fowey.Originally, the avenue was a single line of sycamore trees planted to commemorate victory in the Civil War.In the C19th, it was converted to the double beech avenue that can be seen today but some of the ancient sycamores remain.The avenue now hosts an array of fungi and lichens.
The oldest trees are remnants from when the site was used for food production for the monks.Trees have been added during the history of the park and this combined with clean, damp air make Lanhydrock Park an ideal lichen habitat.More than 130 lichens, including rare species, have been found. During spring, bluebells light up the woods closely followed by stretches of wild garlic. Since the 1990s, areas of the parkland have been managed without the use of pesticides or fertiliser which has allowed traditional grassland flowers to establish. The park is the best site in Cornwall for bats and 13 British species have been recorded here.Dippers and wagtails may be spotted from a riverside path and for the lucky few – maybe even an otter or a kingfisher.