Come and be part of a global voice for wild plants and fungi
This autumn, help us find the Britain’s most colourful and important fungi – waxcaps.
Plantlife’s Big Give Christmas Challenge 28 Nov- 5 Dec, make a positive impact in protecting remarkable lichens.
Go the extra mile and run wild for Plantlife
Become a Plantlife member today and together we will rebuild a world rich in plants and fungi
Number of IPAs:27 Area of IPAs: 708,606 hectares Number/Area of IPAs in Protected Areas: 11 IPAs
Montenegro covers 14,000 km2
Montenegro covers an area of almost 14,000 km² and has two biogeographic zones: Mediterranean and Alpine. Montenegro borders Albania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, Kosovo and Serbia. On a European scale Montenegro is believed to have the greatest number of vascular plants per unit area, and contains many national and Balkan endemics – Asperula, Campanula, Dianthus, Edrianathus and Ophrys are just a few of the important genera.
The natural and semi-natural habitats are characterised by forest (oak, beech and coniferous), grasslands, and the coastal habitats of the Adriatic Sea.
Montenegro has 27 IPAs, covering 708,606 hectares. IPAs in Montenegro are largely made up of habitat mosaics, other than 3 sites which are 100% marine. Broadleaved deciduous woodland occurs at the most sites (19), followed by coniferous forests (14) and mixed forests (8). Predominant grassland habitats are mesic (8), sub alpine and alpine (8) and dry (5). Forest (woodland) habitats are the most frequent with significant coverage on most of the sites where they occur. Grassland, cultivated and inland water habitats are also frequent.
16 of Montenegro’s 27 IPAs (nearly 60%) are unprotected. The other 40% have some level of official national protection on all or part of the site.
Tourism and recreation are the dominant land use at 81% of sites and thus, unsurprisingly, development threatens 78%, with over half of the sites threatened specifically by tourist development. This is a particular problem on the coast.
Forestry and mixed agriculture take place on almost half of Montenegrin IPAs and low level wild plant harvesting on one third. One third of sites are also threatened by deforestation and burning of vegetation. The mismanagement of water resources threatens five lake and coastal IPAs at an acute level. In Montenegro climate change is recognised as one of the top ten threats to IPAs.
Important Plant Areas in Central and Eastern Europe
Pages 74 – 75
Montenegro IPA data
Mountains behind Skadar Lake – Montenegro
Mountain Serpentine above Kotor Bay – Montenegro
We will keep you updated by email about our work, news, campaigning, appeals and ways to get involved. We will never share your details and you can opt out at any time. Read our Privacy Notice.